Linking your domain to your premium account from DreamHost
One of the coolest features about archcase premium accounts is the ability to link your own domain to your portfolio so that you can use a nice, simple, distinctive URL on your business cards, e-mail signatures, etc.
You can use any domain you’ve bought using any domain registrant out there, unfortunately magic doesn’t happen often and you’ll have to manually point your domain to archcase’s servers so that we can link it to your account.
This tutorial will show you how to register and point your domain to our servers if your domain registrant is DreamHost. If you already have a domain registered with DreamHost you may jump ahead to step 9.
1. Visit www.dreamhost.com and navigate to the “Domains” tab.
2. Enter your desired domain and extension and check for availability. You may have to repeat this step a few times until you find a domain that’s available. Remember this has nothing to do with archcase or DreamHost, you are checking the world wide domain register!
3. Once you’ve found an available domain that you are happy with go ahead and register it.
4. At this point you must either create a DreamHost account or log in if you already have one.
5. Chose how many years you want to register your domain for and click “continue”.
6. Enter your billing information and click “continue”.
If you have a gift card ID, either provided by archcase of from somewhere else, you have to enter your code in this step. Note that you’ll be required to enter a credit card even if your gift card is sufficient to pay for the full order so that your domain can be renewed when it expires and you don’t lose it.
7. Good news! If you are an archcase premium user you don’t need hosting, we take care of it! So in this step go ahead and click “No thank, I just want to purchase a domain name”.
8. Congratulations! You’ve successfully registered your domain. In a few more steps we’ll show you how to set it up. Go ahead and click “Continue to your web panel”
9. On your DreamHost user panel navigate to “Manage Domains”
10. Click on “DNS” just below the domain you want to link to your archcase account.
11. You must modify the default A record for your host name and the A record for your "www" subdomain to make them point to archcase's servers (IP: 188.8.131.52).
To modify your default A record choose “A” from the dropdown in the “Add a new DNS record” section. Enter archcase’s IP in the “concept” field and click “Add Record Now!”.
In order to modify our create your "www" subdomain A record choose “A” from the dropdown in the “Add a new DNS record” section. Enter www in the "Name" field and archcase’s IP in the “concept” field and click “Add Record Now!”.
12. You are all done! Just remember a few things
- You must register your domain name on your archcase user dashboard too by navigating to the “URL” tab once you are logged in.
- This setting changes might take up to 24 hours to be applied, so your archcase premium account won’t be accessible instantly.