Claes R Janson, head architect; Carl Kylberg, project architect; Josefin Klein, Alexander Simittchiev, Rikard Jansson, Henrik Troedson
Malmö Centralstation, Malmö, Suecia
55.609458 | 13.000912999999969
Malmö Central Station has always looked to move with the times. Since opening in 1858, the city’s first railway station has been rebuilt, extended and modernised to cater for changing passenger needs over the decades.
For one and a half centuries, Malmö Central Station formed a northerly limit for city planners. But the redevelopment of Malmö’s old wharves and docksides means the station is about to claim a more central position as the city’s transport hub. The new Glass Hall on the station’s north wing symbolises the city’s fresh direction. It presents a gleaming new front to the north, once the station’s unprepossessing neighbour.
The original Terminal Building is in two sections. The smaller Green Hall was a waiting room for third-class passengers in the 1920s. The turquoise tiling has since regained its former lustre and the limestone floor is from Skånska Ignaberga. The Central Hall started out as an open platform building. Its old brick walls and herring-bone tiled floor have been carefully preserved. Beneath the domed roof, 15 shops and restaurants provide an inviting environment for people to meet and eat.